Do you want to install a security camera in your office or home to ensure it protects you against burglars and notify you about any suspicious activity? Nest Cam will help you do that. It will keep your home or office secure. Nest Cam Outdoor camera is a well-known brand in this domain. You can easily Set Up Nest camera with the help of this guide.
How to Set Up Nest Cam with Nest App?
Set Up Nest Cam with nest app is available here. In case you have got a new Nest Cam or have deleted the camera from the Nest app and would like to add it back. The app will help you through the process. Make sure that you add the camera to the app and then install it. Before you start, make sure that you connect the camera to the Nest app. Thereafter, test the video streaming quality of a particular location prior to installing it. Keep in mind that poor internet connection can impact video quality. Each Nest Cam comes with specific installation and mounting instructions, choose your model in the mounting section. To set up the camera, you need to follow the steps given below.
The Nest app is available on the iOS and Android app store.
- Create an account on the app.
- On the homepage you will find the option “Add New’, tap on it.
- In case you already have a Nest product, tap on ‘Settings’ present at the top- right corner of the home screen. Choose ‘Add’ to add the product.
- The app will ask you to scan the QR code of the camera using the phone. You can also insert the serial number of the camera instead of scanning.
- Choose a location name or type your own by selecting ‘Custom’.
- Now, plug the camera to a power outlet. Make sure you include the adapter and capable.
- The app will allow your camera to scan the nearby Wi-Fi connections. Choose the network you prefer.
- Now, the app will help in checking the video streaming of the camera. When you see the video on the app, you are ready to install it.
How to Set Up Your Camera with Mac or Windows via home.nest.com?
In case you are looking to use the app on your Windows or Mac personal computer, you should know that there is no need to download the app. This is because you start with the Nest Cam set up through the web browser. The web portal offers much-advanced features in comparison to the phone application. So, if you are interested, let’s start with Nest Cam Setup on your Windows or Mac computer.
- Open the web browser and enter the web address, home.nest.com in the address bar. The screen of the Nest portal is going to look rather different.
- There is a photo on the upper right corner, click on it. Choose ‘Settings’ from the menu.
- In case you have already clicked on the product, choose ‘Settings’ in the upper right corner to find the product settings.
- Choose the product to get a detailed view. Thereon, the interface is almost the same as the Nest app for the phone. Scroll down to find product-specific options that include ‘Settings’.
How to Move the Nest Cam to a Different Spot in Your Home with the Same Wi-Fi Network?
If you are planning to move the Nest Cam to a different location in your home using the same Wi-Fi network, you will have to follow the steps given below.
- Unplug the Nest Cam.
- Remove the screws and the mounting plate.
- Now, wire it or plug it back at the new location. For Google Nest Hello, you will require a chime and wired doorbell installed at the new location, beforehand.
- Your camera is going to reconnect to the same network, automatically.
- Check the connection of the camera prior to mounting it. Hold it where you are planning to mount it and test the video streaming using the app. In case the streaming quality is low, move it to a new location.
- After mounting update the new location on the Nest app.
In case you are having trouble connecting it to the Wi-Fi network after moving, it might have moved out of the Wi-Fi range. Place it in close proximity to the router. Even a few feet can showcase a big difference.
What to Do if the Camera is Connected to Another Account?
If you see that the camera is connected to another account, it might be that the previous owner has not removed the camera from their account prior to returning it to the store or selling it to you second hand. In such a case, you will have to get in touch with the previous owner and ask them to remove the camera from the account. However, if you are unable to connect to the previous owner, you can contact Customer Care. They will be able to help you complete the process.
Why Nest Cam is Not Detecting Motion?
Nest Cam can determine when anything moves on the basis of how much the image changes over a short period of time. In case the camera is far away from the action that you want to monitor, it might not be able to detect the motion and send you any alerts.
Try to look for a place where the camera is not visible but is close enough to detect the activity properly. Also, check the light on the scene. This will help in detecting the activity in a better manner. In case you are not receiving alerts about the motion in an area that is poorly lit, set ‘Night Vision’ to ‘Always On’. In case the camera is unable to detect motion from the sun or some other light, mount it high and angle it downward.
Why Nest Cam is Not Showing in App?
Your Nest Cam might not be showing in the app, it might be because you have listed it in a different home. So, make sure that it is in the right home in the app. In case the Nest products are grouped together but they are in the wrong home, you can change the name and information of the home. In case you are Nest Aware subscriber, you can call the support team and they will fix every issue for you. However, if you don’t have Nest Aware Subscription, remove the camera and then add it back to the right home.
What is Nest Aware?
Nest Aware is the subscription service for all the users of Nest Cam. It allows you to save your video recording for up to 30 days in the cloud. Without this subscription, you will only be able to check snapshots that are detected when the cam detects a motion.
If you want to use the face-recognition technology of Nest Cam IQ, you should definitely have this subscription. Moreover, you will be able to take advantage of the ‘activity zone’ that enable you to highly a specific portion of what the cam is able to see. In case anything is detected within that area, you will receive a notification. There are two different subscription packages. The cheap one cost $100 and the expensive plan is $300 a year.